Sunday 14 July 2013

DIY - Fishtail Bracelet

As you can see from the title today I'm going to teach you how to make a fishtail bracelet. This will be my first ever DIY so I don't know how it'll turn out or how clear it'll be but I hope it's ok. I feel like this is a really simple bracelet to make because it's not forward knots and backwards knots and it takes very little time it isn't really quick but once you get the hand of it, it's very simple. 


So here is the finished product. I did mine very random and used a lot of different colours. I used exactly 8 threads which you then fold over so you have 2 of each so here goes the tutorial!

Step 1: Select which colours you going to use, are you doing an ombré effect, random or all similar. For showing this I chose 4 colours. Light blue, Blue, Light purple and Purple and these are just normal thread that can be found in shops I got mine from Hobbycraft in the UK.


Step 2: Prepare your colours by measuring them each to around 40 inches, you'll need this because you will be folding it in half. Do this to all of your colours by using your first one as a guide. They don't have to be too perfect!

Step 3: Fold them in half and tie a knot leaving a small loop at the top. You will have one of each colour on either side. Then put a pin through the loop and attach it to a pillow to work on or I just cellotape over the loop to work on. You should have something like this.


Step 4: Now we get started so basically if you know how to do a fishtail then go ahead and start. I shall explain a fish tail and how to do it now and try to include photos if I can. So firstly you can arrange your string so that you do Light Blue, Blue, Light purple, Purple or you can arrange them however but either way you do it. Start on the right and take the outmost string and cross it over to the middle on the left. For the picture I showed of the finished product I didn't set my string out in order and I'm going to do the same as I like that look. In the other one I used a lot of colours so it was thicker but these bracelet are very thin so watch that. 


Don't forget that every time you bring a thread to the centre to pull it tight and keep hold of it. Don't pull it too right or the thread will gather underneath but just so it stays in place until you've done a few more. 

Step 4: now just continue to cross the outside thread over to the centre on the opposite side until you have a length that slightly smaller than your wrist, this is because the loop adds more length so you'll want it shorter unless you prefer bracelets to be looser and then do a knot at that length.


Step 5: them I after I've knotted it I like to put it around my wrist and thread the knot through the loop and see if it's in the right place


Step 6: Finally I knot it at the place I want it and cut the excess threads off and there you have it a pretty simple (once you get the hang of it!) bracelet that look perfect to stack or accessorise with!


So here's the finish product and I just paired my creations with two of my bracelets and they just add to an outfit and I love the fact that for little expense and a bit of work it looks so good!


So it's finished I know it might not be the clearest tutorial but it's my first attempt and it took a lot of work but I had a good time making it to I might make some more but not everyday! Maybe every week who knows!

Thanks for reading!
Bex xo

 


 

 


 


 

 




 

5 comments:

  1. That looks so cool!!!!xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Aww! Thanks Kendal, this post took me all day but worth it:)xxx

      Delete
  2. I love these, especially the bright multi-coloured one! I don't know if I'd have the patience to make one though :) So pretty! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the late reply but thank you! I thought that but they don't take to long and are easy one you get the hang of it, thanks again(:

      Delete